The A2 driving license can be obtained by anyone, regardless of whether they have owned another class of driving license before or not. The minimum age is 18 years old. If you received your A1 driving license at 16, you only need to pass a practical test after two years to upgrade your license to an A2.
If you’re interested in learning about other driving classes offered in Germany, here is a comprehensive guide to the different types of driving licenses in Germany. The Class B driving license is the most popular type in Germany.
- An Eye Test
- The First Aid Course for the A2 Driver's License
- Application for a Driver's License
What Is A2 License?
A2 is a motorcycle license in Germany and the EU, allowing individuals to ride motorcycles with a power output of up to 35 kW (roughly 48 horsepower). A2 license can be obtained by passing both a theory and practical test. The A2 motorcycle driving license is an affordable way to drive motorcycles without limit in the future.
A2 Driver’s License Requirements
If you want to ride a motorcycle (A2), you need some documents before starting driving school. You don’t need to have previously owned another class to start an A2 license.
An Eye Test
You must take the eye test at an officially recognized eye test centre to obtain a driver’s license. Once you pass the eye test, the optician’s certificate must be submitted to the driver’s license office.
However, a certificate of examination from an ophthalmologist is also valid. If you have this document, you won’t need to take the eye test at an optician.
The First Aid Course for the A2 Driver’s License
People who want to get an AM, A1, A2, A, B, BE, L or T driving license must have completed a class on emergency life-saving measures. This course seeks to provide learners with basic theoretical knowledge and practical exercises to handle any injured persons resulting from an accident.
According to § 19 FeV, first aid training course is not required for who
- A certificate of successful completion for the state examination in medicine or dentistry or proof of medical or dental training completed from another country.
- Have a certificate of completed training in a healthcare profession, like a dental assistant.
- If you have a certificate of training as a nurse’s assistant, nursing assistant, medical trainee or rescue service trainee, or if you are qualified as a lifeguard with the German lifeguard badge in silver or gold, you can submit your application.
Application for a Driver’s License
After you finish the first aid course and eye test, you can sign up for a driving school. Register for the driving school on your desired date if there are still open slots.
Registering for a driving school doesn’t mean your work is done. You still have to take some time before the course begins to go to the responsible authority, like the driving license authority. This is where you’ll hand in all the required paperwork for an A2 driving license.
Please bring the following documents to your nearest Bürgeramt:
- A valid ID (like your passport)
- A passport size picture
- Eye test
- First aid course certificate
- The contract from your driving school, or Ausbildungvertrag
- The service fee falls between 30 and 50 euros.
Procedure to Get an A2 License in Germany
The procedure for an a2 driving license is simple: gather all the necessary documents, register in a driving school, complete theory lessons and participate in practical lessons.
A2 License Theory Test
The course is made up of 16 double lessons, each 90 minutes long. Of those, 12 double lessons cover the basics while 4 focus on motorcycles specifically. If the A2 license is obtained as an extension, meaning that this class is taken alongside another, then the basic theory only requires 6 double hours.
After the lesson, you will take the theory test. This can include topics such as overtaking, speed limits, and hazardous conditions. You must answer 30 questions correctly. A student is allowed 10 error points, meaning that answering two questions incorrectly, each worth 5 points.
If the A2 motorcycle license is an extension, the test would only have been 20 questions, and a maximum of 6 error points are permitted.
A2 License Practical Test
The number of practice hours with a driving instructor can differ based on the student’s needs, making it personal to each individual. Nevertheless, learner driver must complete 12 trips that are each 45 minutes long; these special trips consist of:
- 5 x overland trips (motorways, country roads),
- 4 x highway trips as well
- 3 x night drives.
If you’ve owned your license for two years, you don’t need any practical training to upgrade from A1 to A2. However, before the test, the driving instructor will confirm that you have the necessary knowledge and may go on some practice drives with you.
This video provides detailed information about the practical test.
The test duration is 60 minutes; if you pass, you will be allowed to get your class A2 driving license.
The test time is reduced to 40 minutes if the driver already has an A2 license and passed the practical test on a motorcycle without manual transmission; they are now taking a practical test with a manual transmission.
How Much Does an A2 License Cost in Germany
The cost of getting a A2 German motorcycle licence can be broken down into the following categories:
- The eye test costs around 6 to 7 euros ,
- The first aid course at around 15 to 30 euros and
- The passport photo is available for 5 to 15 euros.
- The driving school usually charges a registration fee , which is between 60 and 200 euros.
- The practice materials for the A2 driving license cost around 20 to 30 euros . However, some driving schools have already switched to digital exercises, so that these costs can be eliminated.
- A practice drive in the driving school costs about 30 to 45 euros . However, the special trips are more expensive and amount to 40 to 60 euros.
The motorcycle driving license A2 also causes costs that are incurred during the tests. These can look like this:
- Theory test: approx. 20 – 80 euros
- Practical exam: approx. 80 – 180 euros
- TÜV fee for the theory test: approx. 40 – 50 euros
- TÜV fee for the practical test: approx. 100 – 120 euros
Moreover, the driving license authority imposes a onetime fee for issuing the driver’s license. The price of this service falls between 30 and 50 euros. This fee is only payable upon receiving your driver’s license for the first time.
What Can I Drive with the A2?
With the A2 license, you can drive any motorcycle or scooter with a power output of up to 35 kW and a power-to-weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW per kg. This includes many popular models, such as the Honda CB500F and Yamaha MT-07.
However, you cannot ride motorcycles or scooters above this limit or ride with a sidecar attached. Without further training and testing, you may also not ride vehicles in the A category.
It is important to note that while the A2 license allows for more freedom than the A1 license, it still requires the same level of caution and responsibility. Always ride within your abilities and follow all road laws to ensure the safety of yourself and others.